Types of Iranian saffron
There is a division of saffron in the main country of production, which is related to the harvest of part of the stigma. Iranian saffron is divided into several main models:
- All three branches of the stigma are separated;
- The end of the stigmas should not be white;
- Stigmas should not be curly;
- Be colorful.
It should be noted that Negin saffron is divided into the following classes:
- Otuee Negin
- Super Negin
- Negin Grade 1
- Stigmas are completely separate;
- The strings are quite thick;
- The amount of crocin and safranal in this type of saffron is very high.
- Stigma is red by 1-3 mm yellow cream part;
- Due to connection of cream part to stigma, cheating possibility decrease.
- Stigma is curly;
- it has lower price than Sargol and Negin.
Methods of distinguishing the original saffron from fake models:
There are three main parameters in distinguishing good saffron include color, aroma and taste. The buyer of saffron must be completely familiar with the characteristics of good saffron.
The characteristics of the main saffron are summarized as follows:
Color is the most important parameter of identification. In fact, it is the same crocin found in saffron. Iranian standards for this factor are much stricter than the international standard 3632. The minimum crocin level for first-class saffron according to Iranian standards should be 200 and for premium saffron should be 220. High-quality filaments turn orange in water, but the fake model quickly turns the water red. This means that you have bought dyed filaments instead of saffron.
Note that the flavor is a little bitter. The bitter taste of saffron is related to its picrocrocin.
The aroma of saffron is related to safranal in it. This smell is a little bitter and pleasant and makes the person feel relaxed.
How to easily buy high quality Iranian saffron?
If you are interested in using this spice for different purposes, we recommend you to buy it directly from FOODYEK saffron site. Saffron is supplied directly from the farms under our supervision, using trained workers and farmers and observing processing and health standards, especially drying and sorting, which is finally offered in various, practical and beautiful packages with historical and cultural identity.
Why is saffron expensive?
- This beautiful flower is harvested from early October to mid-November. At this time, the workforce must start harvesting flowers every morning before sunrise and finish the harvest before direct sunlight damages the quality of the flowers. In this season, all labors are involved in harvesting saffron flowers and cleaning them by hand. And labor is definitely more expensive this time of year than the rest of the year.
- Each flower produces only three stigmas, and normally each crocus onion can produce only one flower. But when you pick the flower, the onion gives a new flower. So every day they have to pick all the flowers. For one gram of saffron, they need about 200 flowers. It takes them about 1 hour to harvest 1000 flowers.
- It takes about three hours to separate the stigma from the flower and the creamy part of these 200 flowers, and it takes about an hour to dry it. Now it is easy to understand why this fragrant spice is so expensive.